Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Point of Departure

Reading in my well-loved copy of Wayne Teasdale's devotional book, The Mystic Hours, I came across this quote by Rabbi Rami Shapiro:

A Jew cannot meet God; nor can a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Confucian or Taoist. No labeled person can meet the Unlabeled and the Unlabelable. Each religious tradition must be self-transcending. Each must lead it's students to a point of departure and help them make the leap from tradition to Truth, God, the nondual reality that is the Source and the Substance of all things.

I know I'm stepping out here, but this quote stirred my heart deeply this morning and confirmed so well my own point of departure. The journey here has been long, arduous, at times painful, but finally so rich and full of grace. Sometimes the path felt overgrown and lonely, but looking closely revealed the ruts of other travelers along the way who had made a trail and left markers for weary souls like myself...travelers like Wayne Teasdale and Rabbi Shapiro and so many other seekers who have offered words of wisdom and inspiration to me on this path.

2 comments:

Luke said...

I am glad to be on this path with you my luminous sweetheart!

Ruthie said...

Me too, luke...I wouldn't want to travel with anyone else! <3