Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Huddled Beneath the Sky

"Life is a journey from hypocrisy to sincerity, from self-centeredness to other-centeredness and love, from self-deception, ingnorance, and illusion to self-honesty, clarity, and truth. We are all immersed in these struggles, whether we realize and accept them or not. Even if we reject them, we have made a choice."
" We can only judge others if we can fulfill two conditions: that we know the other's heart totally, and that we love them unconditionally. Only God can possibly meet these two conditions, therefore only God can judge......."
"The spiritual journey only begins in earnest when we no longer experience the need to judge others, when we begin to take responsibility for our own inner development."
---Wayne Teasdale, The Mystic Heart


Huddled Beneath the Sky

The sadness I have caused any face
by letting a stray word
strike it,

any pain I have caused you,
what can I do to make us even?
Demand a hundredfold of me--I'll pay it.

During the day I hold my feet accountable
to watch out for wondrous insects and their dwellings.

Why would I want to bring horror
into their extraordinary
world?

Magnetic fields draw us to Light: they move our limbs and thoughts.
But it is still dark: if our hearts do not hold a lantern,
we will stumble over each other,

huddled beneath the sky
as we are.

~Rumi~
(translated by Daniel Ladinsky, Love Poems from God)
First posted October 18, 2006 on A Path to My Woods

No comments: