Friday, April 4, 2008

I'm standing here in my kitchen making a savory bowl of curried hummus for my children to enjoy with a hodge podge of veggies and crackers, thinking, as I work, of a poem that has recently come to mind.


BECAUSE HE GAVE BIRTH
So

precious
is a person's faith in God

so precious;

never should we
harm
that.

Because
He gave birth
to all


religions.

~St. Francis of Assisi~
Translation by Daniel Ladinsky
in
Love Poems from God:
Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West



Hmmmn. I love St. Francis...his words are rich and insightful, springing from a life of contemplation and compassion. That doesn't make him infallible, but his words merit thought. At first read, I embraced this poem for it's lovely ideal. And yet, the more that I contemplate it, the more I have this uneasy feeling.

I want to say "Yes!" but my heart is only half way there. I do not believe that religion was birthed from God in a pure sense. I believe religion was birthed out of man's longing and seeking after God. Humankind reaches out to God and God reaches back, opening our hearts to truth and wisdom. What Aldous Huxley called the perennial philosophy are the eternal truths found at the core of most religions. Sacred writings for thousands of years have reflected man's longing to know God and understand the universe and are laced throughout with these eternal truths coming straight from the heart of God. However, they also reflect the belief systems and traditions different groups of people have attached to these eternal truths in their attempt to explain the nature of God. Some of these traditions have been beneficial to mankind's journey, some have not.

Over time, religion has been used to put God's approval on any number of atrocities and to control masses of people with fear and indoctrination to the point of brainwashing. I know from personal experience the power that fear of eternal punishment and discouragement of thoughtful questioning can have over a person. Not only that, but the exclusive mindset that creates an "us" and "them" division. "Us" being the saved or the chosen, "them" being lost, sinners, the world. Anytime a belief system controls the way people act and think, overshadowing perennial truths, it has reached cultic magnitude.

This is why I say that God has birthed in our hearts eternal truths. Mankind, in his longing, wakens to these truths within himself, permeating creation, so we find this very philosophy throughout sacred texts, from the Bible to the Tao Te Ching, the Dhammapadda, the Upanishads and Gita and other ancient texts. In my studies, I've found that the mystics of every faith-tradition, even in Judaism, Christianity and Islam, have become awake to the eternal truth and risen above the boundries of religion.

I have to quote the Holy Rascal Rabbi Rami Shapiro again:

"A Jew cannot meet God; nor can a Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Confucian or Taoist. No labeled person can meet the Unlabeled and the Unlabelable. Each religious tradition must be self-transcending. Each must lead it's students to a point of departure and help them make the leap from tradition to Truth, God, the nondual reality that is the Source and the Substance of all things."

love love love this quote...I can't think of a better way to sum it up.

Anyway, that's what I think about in my kitchen.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Beautiful. Thank you for posting this. After reading blog after blog about judgment after judgment, my heart aches for some understanding in this world. It is so refreshing to hear your point of view. At times though, personally, I have to take a step back and check myself. I need to make sure that I am not judging them as they are judging me...you know?

Ruthie said...

The beautiful thing about this view is being aware of God's spirit in all...and recognizing that each spirit on this human journey is at a different place and needs to grow through different experiences.

It's always good to step back and get fresh perspective. While respectful dialogue is healthy, reactionism is a sure sign that it's not an open and thoughtful conversation but a defensive one, probably a judgmental one. We all need to examine our hearts on this level..I know exactly what you mean!